Estonia is launching a new Digital Nomad Visa for remote workers
We’re happy to announce that Estonia has launched a new Digital Nomad Visa that allows remote workers to live in Estonia and legally work for their employer or their own company registered abroad.
Digital nomads and remote workers have long faced ambiguity when working while they travel, often skirting the law by working while visiting a country with a tourist visa.
But as of August 1, 2020, eligible location-independent workers can apply for the chance to come to Estonia to live for up to a year with peace of mind that they can legally work.
Estonia has already transformed the way a country serves people beyond its borders through programmes such as e-Residency. Now with the Digital Nomad Visa, Estonia is transforming how people in the world choose to work.
Sign up for the e-Residency newsletter to receive updates and more information on the Digital Nomad Visa.Subscribe
Have some questions about the Digital Nomad Visa?
Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for the digital nomad visa if you meet the following requirements
- You are able to work independent of location
- You can perform your work duties remotely using telecommunications technology
- You either have an active employment contract with a company registered outside of Estonia, conduct business through your own company registered abroad, or work as a freelancer for clients mostly outside of Estonia.
- You can provide evidence that your income met the minimum threshold during the six months preceding the application. Currently, the monthly income threshold is €3504 (gross of tax).
How to apply?
- Review the eligibility requirements.
- Fill in the application form online. Print the form and sign it after completion. The state fee is 80€ for a Type C (short stay) visa and 100€ Type D (long stay) visa.
- Make an appointment at your nearest Estonian Embassy or Consulate to submit your application. Make sure you bring copies of any required supporting documents.
- Applications are reviewed within 30 days
If you are already legally in Estonia and would like to extend your stay, you can also apply for this visa at a Police and Border Guard Board office. If you choose to apply in Estonia, make sure you have enough time for the application processing period.
You can apply for an Estonian long-stay visa (D-visa) or a short-stay visa to Estonia (C-visa), depending on the planned period of stay.
In addition to the general visa application procedure and rules, you’ll need to provide documents proving that you meet the eligibility requirements of being a location-independent employee or digital nomad.
No person is automatically eligible for a visa and their background is checked as carefully as for other visa applicants.
Due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Estonia’s borders are currently open to people travelling from a limited group of approved countries outside the EU, Schengen Zone, or the UK. Only people coming from these approved countries can apply for a Digital Nomad Visa. The Digital Nomad Visa does not provide people coming from countries not in this approved list with an exemption to travel to Estonia. For the latest information including the list of approved countries, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
The Estonian Government has not delegated to any private visa agent or representative the right or ability to handle DNV applications. The only official way to apply for a DNV is directly through an Estonian Representation that handles visa applications or a Police and Border Guard office.”
E-Residency vs. Digital Nomad Visa
- Secure, government-issued, digital identity for personal, online authentication.
- Remote entrepreneurs gain digital access to Estonia’s e-services:
- Establish and run a company online
- Declare taxes & access banking/payments
- Low-cost, minimal bureaucracy alternative
- No right of citizenship, residence or travel to Estonia or EU.
- Apply online at e-resident.gov.ee. Process takes 6-8 weeks.
- Receive your e-Residency kit at pickup points around world after verifying identity.
Digital Nomad Visa
- Right for remote workers to temporarily stay in Estonia for up to 1 year.
- For digital nomads who can work online & independent of location:
- For an employer registered abroad
- For their company registered abroad, or
- As a freelancer for clients mostly abroad
- No right of citizenship or permanent residence in Estonia or EU.
- Apply at your nearest Estonian Embassy. Process takes up to 30 days.
- Pick up visa at nearest Estonian Embassy. Standard visa rules & procedures apply.